September 03, 2010

My new toy

Canon G11
The latest addition to my camera gear, the Canon Powershot G11. This was a shared purchase between my girlfriend and myself since she was in need of a new camera after her one went for a swim accidentally and I just wanted something new to play with.

I'm not one for writing reviews on a product so I'll just tell you what I like about it. It's a lot smaller than my DSLR, the 400D, so that's a big plus from having to carry that around in my backpack but instead I can wear this around my shoulder and not have any problems with it. So size was a main issue even though this isn't your typical point and shoot which fits in your pocket but I quite like the size and it feels good to hold in your hand while taking photos and not just a toy.

Next would be the manual capabilities, allowing for full flexibility for when I want to take a photo of something, with long exposures and all that business and it also features a manual zoom. Where a zoomed in box pops up on the LCD so you can correctly focus on the subject.

The rotating LCD screen, at first seemed like a bit of a nuisance but after getting used to rotating it the right way, anti clockwise? I think it was, then it's a pretty nifty idea for protecting the LCD screen and for taking photos of yourself. Which I only did once with my girlfriend when we were taking tourist type shots in Osaka, it definitely wasn't for Facebook profile pictures.

Another great feature is the ability to attach an external flash which is great since I can just chuck on my 430EX and use it like I would on the DLSR but this again is more compact although the larger flash does dwarf the G11 a bit however I have only used the flash once on the G11.

Finally the price we were offered for the camera was ridiculously low and even though it was a display model it is in as new condition as could be since it was displayed in a glass cabinet. If it wasn't for the price I think I would have gotten a Panasonic LX3 or even wait for the new LX5 to come out because I hear that's going to be a killer of a camera but the price was just too good to pass up and my girlfriend really needed/wanted a camera.

The downside, I'm short a few bucks in my bank account but hey, I have this cool new camera to play with. Also check out the this shot I managed from the Super GT.

IMG_0119
It turned out better than it did on my DLSR at the time because it started getting dark. In short; this is a great camera and I'm more than happy with it.

2 comments:

  1. did you set the scene to sports for this shot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I did not, I had it on Shutter Priority (Tv) mode and had AI Servo focus turned on and just panned the shot as I would have with my DSLR.

    ReplyDelete