March 05, 2013

Last First-Day

First Last-Day
Today was my last first-day of uni. No more checking out first-years, no more struggling to get past the busy co-op bookshop, no more queuing up for my concession sticker and no more summer holidays. Shit gets real after this year, I’m finally going to graduate. Am I excited? A bit. I’ve been here too long, I’ve already had way too many first-days, more than I ever planned on having. So it’ll be good to get out of here and see what’s out there.

But my last first-day didn’t turn out any more spectacular than any other ordinary day.

I woke up, freshened up, threw on some clothes and the next thing I know I was at uni making my way to my first lecture. Managed to get lost too. How awesome is that?

Ended up in the right room and the first lecture slide pops up and it reads “Welcome to university”. Great, it’s a first-year subject – yes I chose this as my easy elective – so the room was full with keen first-year students. They’re all there, the hipsters, the wannabe hipsters, the nerdy ones, the over dressed, the under dressed. You name it and they’re there. Then there’s me.

I pull out my book hoping to get into the swing of things and make sure that today would be my last first-day and that I wouldn’t be here again next year. One hour passes and I’ve written nothing. Ok I lied, I wrote down the date and the lecturers name. But that was it. The whole time the lecturer was being an egotistical dick out the front trying to break the ice for all those first-year students. What a waste of time.

The lecture ended and I got out of there, grabbed some food and went to my second lecture. Checked my timetable and it was the same subject, again.

Great, more shit talking from my so-called lecturer. My thoughts wander off, I’m in my own little world. I was thinking about all sorts of things, things that didn’t really make sense now that I think about it. Suddenly the room bursts into laughter and I kick a little in my seat. Shit! I fell asleep. The lecture was done and the lecturer must have squeezed in one final joke before the class ended. What a great start to the semester and an awesome way to end my last first-day at uni.

1 comment: