August 05, 2010

Nagoya: World Cosplay Summit

Last weekend was the World Cosplay Summit (WCS) in Nagoya, where contestants from all over the world came together to battle it out for supremacy in the world of Cosplay. It wasn't as good as it sounded though.

Waking up around midday aiming to get to Nagoya by 2:30pm to meet with some friends then head to the WCS to check out the action. Leaving my place it seemed like it was going to rain and there was a cool breeze which was a big change from the really hot 30+ degree days. So I decided to chuck on a pair of jeans and a t shirt, oh boy was that a bad idea by the time I got to Nagoya. The whole way there I was on the train so it was nice and cool but by the time I got to the streets of Nagoya I was sweating everywhere!

I got to Nagoya around 2:30pm as planned (I was on time for a change) and my friends were still sight seeing and stuff and it was still early before the WCS started at 4pm, so naturally I headed straight towards the arcades to get in some games of Street Fighter. It was about a 5min walk and I was so happy they had really strong air conditioning at the game centre. I played some games, lost some won some the usual then it was time so I headed to the WCS to meet my friends.

World
Approaching the venue I was a bit surprised and shocked that the whole thing was held outdoors, OUTDOORS?! It was easily at 35 degree day and the large number of people there didn't help either. This was it, Oasis 21 a large bus depot in Nagoya which was the venue for this years WCS.

I've never been to a cosplay event before so I had no idea what to expect except girls dressed in some skimpy outfits that were meant to be the same as some anime characters. But how wrong I was, there were guys walking around dressed up as girls, some of the costumes were just ridiculous and the majority of the girls looked like they were so young I felt bad looking at some of them.

IMG_4485
Although I did manage to find some cute looking girls and what do you know, they were Evangelion characters too. What a coincidence.

IMG_4470

IMG_4475

IMG_4474

IMG_4481
There were some decent looking costumes(girls) but to be honest, it wasn't worth walking around in that heat and humidity. I also think these were the amateur cosplayers as the main show was on stage and there was a fee to get in and watch but most people didn't bother.

IMG_4468
Some of the costumes were pretty elaborate and I couldn't believe they could put up with wearing the costume for so long especially in that heat.

IMG_4477
I have no idea what this is meant to be, I know it's a Nintendo DS but why is there some anime girl in it? It must be a Japanese thing. If someone has any idea what this is please let me know.

IMG_4464
This was one killer of a costume (no pun intended) because it seemed the guy in the costume was going to pass out at times, he kept getting his friends to fan him and give him water as it must have been so hot underneath that costume. It looked as though he just got out of the pool as he was drenched!

IMG_4465
But kudos to him for putting on a brave face (even though no one can see it) and posing for all the people that wanted to take photos of him and his friend. I for one wouldn't even have been there in the first place let alone put on a elaborate costume such as that. By the way, I have no idea what half the people were dressing up as either.

Nagoya
My friends and I decided it was too hot so found a getaway in a Starbucks store and chilled out in their air conditioned cafe for a bit then it was starting to get dark. We were going to have dinner but most of them weren't hungry so they decided to head back whereas I stayed back in Nagoya to keep exploring.

I just ended up back at the arcades playing Street Fighter since it was still so hot outside even though it was getting dark, sure it was cooler than during the day but it was still unbearable for me, especially since I was wearing jeans. I played for an hour or so with only 200YEN since I kept winning which was a change, then I grabbed some KFC across the road then headed home. The KFC was SHIT! the burger itself wasn't too bad the but coleslaw was such a let down, now I'm craving proper coleslaw more than ever.

PS. My girlfriend comes tomorrow and I'll be starting my travels of Japan so for the next month therefore I'll hardly be home, let alone in front of a computer. So there won't be much updates, I only have one small post lined up but that's it for about a month. Instead I signed up to twitter so you can keep track of where I am and what I'm doing while I'm travelling Japan, that's if I remember to post there.

I've also quickly whipped up something on carbonmade as well so head to

http://folio.stevenle.net/

to check it out and let me know what you think, there's no real purpose to it yet just some random photos and stuff I chucked up there and having a play with some ideas.

Until next time, stay safe and hopefully I'll have lots to show when I get back.

Peace out.
Steven

1 comment:

  1. Girl in DS is a character from a game called Love Plus. There are stories of guys going to court trying to marry their DS/character.

    ReplyDelete