September 01, 2010

Kyoto and Universal Studios, Japan

After a good night's sleep out plan was to jump on a train for Kyoto, check in to our hostel then jump on another train back to Osaka and head for Universal Studios Japan. This ended up taking a bit longer than expected as the place we were staying at, Kyoto Guest House, was a bit hard to find hidden away in a small residential area but it was totally worth it, the owners were really friendly, spoke really good English and the place was great for what it was. If you ever head to Kyoto be sure to check them out here.

IMG_5075 copy
Kyoto station is only about 30 minutes away from Osaka so it wasn't too bad.

IMG_5076 copy
The famous Kyoto Tower Hotel right across the road from the station. This is the tallest building in Kyoto as theirs rules or laws against building sky scrapers or tall buildings in Kyoto because they want to preserve the city or so that is what I've been told.

IMG_5079 copy
The City Walk from the station to Universal Studios.

IMG_5084 copy
Here we all are at the front, at first I approached this girl to take a photo for us but she was so shy she just totally ignored me and ran around me as though I was trying to do bad things to her or something. My friends just laughed so then I just asked one of the staff members walking around to take it for us and she was more than helpful. I think she has had a lot of experience as this photo turned out so good hahaha.

IMG_5089 copy
A lot of people were still entering although it was late in the after noon, about 4 or 5pm and it was still pretty crowded.

IMG_5090 copy
Everywhere you go in Japan there is Hello Kitty merchandise.

IMG_5093 copy
Cool plush toys from Sesame Street, I didn't get to play any games though as we spent most of our time going through all the rides and attractions.

IMG_5097 copy
We were going to wait for the 3D Terminator feature but found out it wasn't a ride so we headed for the Spiderman ride and it was awesome, we didn't wait that long either.

IMG_5099 copy
While waiting in line we were taken through what seems to be the office for "The Daily Bugle" and it was a great addition as it made the wait in line so much more interactive.

IMG_5104 copy
This is us and our super cool 3D glasses, too bad we were told we weren't allowed to take photos during the ride because it was awesome! One of the best rides there I reckon even though it was one of those 3D adventure type things and I couldn't really understand what they were saying but I really enjoyed the ride. I also picked up my first addition to my Bear Brick collection, a Spiderman one.

IMG_5110 copy
Next up was the Jurassic Park ride, I think we waited the longest for this one, about 30 minutes or more.

IMG_5114 copy
Also managed to sneak in this shot before the ride got interesting. This was a great ride as I loved the Jurassic Park movies and the ride itself was very entertaining with a giant drop at the end which not all of us expected, luckily we managed to score on of those roller coaster photos from this ride. A very funny photo that's for sure, I'll probably post it up later when I get my hands on a scanner.

IMG_5119 copy
Outside they had this on display.

IMG_5120 copy
They even had those big Jurassic Park gates which were a nice addition and also the souvenir store and some restaurants were in the shape of the huts in the movies, I didn't get a good photo of them though.

IMG_5132 copy
We then hit up the Snoopy section of USJ and here I am giving some advice to my girlfriend.

IMG_5133 copy
Then it was the girl's turn for some advice.

IMG_5136 copy
I don't know what she was sighing about.

When we got out it was getting dark and it was nearly closing time so we all headed for the Holly Wood Dream roller coaster which looked very daunting at first but it wasn't a bad ride, my girlfriend was freaking out though but she survived it. We then had time for one last ride which was the Jaws one, it was really fun especially because it was dark and we couldn't really see what was coming for us from the water. Again another really great ride, it was about closing time so we just went around getting all of the gifts and souvenirs we wanted to buy and the next thing you know we managed to get front row seats to the parade.

IMG_5142 copy

IMG_5153 copy
This was my favourite, the Arabian Nights elephant.

IMG_5156 copy

IMG_5159 copy

IMG_5162 copy

IMG_5164 copy
This was also very cool.

IMG_5165 copy

IMG_5169 copy

IMG_5181 copy

IMG_5187 copy

IMG_5192 copy
Thanks to my girlfriend for being my tripod when I took this shot, it turned out well.

IMG_5193 copy
Us hanging with Peanuts.

IMG_5194 copy
Then it was Snoopy and Woodstock's turn.

We then proceeded to try and find something to eat but everything close by was closing so we decided to just head back to Kyoto for some dinner closer to where we were staying. Sukiya was opened 24hrs and was only a 10 minute walk so it wasn't too bad considering they had unagi.

That was it from us in Osaka, next is Kyoto so watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment